Thursday, April 30, 2009

Good and Bad humor

So I wanted to explore the concept of humor in television advertising advertising a bit more. Here are two commercials for Mountain Dew that both use humor. Same product, same target market and even the same creative voice. They're both brand consistent, but one of them misses the mark in my opinion.



Why do I find this spot effective? The message is fairly clear: Mountain Dew is so good it's worth battling a Ram. The product is mentioned at the very start of the spot and featured nicely at the end. It's funny and clear.



The clarity is problematic for me. Yes, the commercial is odd and funny but the message just doesn't click. It seems like a stretch to go from being surprised that Lincoln liked wrestling, to the wrestling at the debate (which really is hillarious) to Diet Dew's extreme flavor. The idea of connecting Diet Mountain Dew to an extreme masculine funny scenario is great, but it doesn't have to be such a great leap. Also, I'm not sure relying on text is such a great idea and I'm not personally a fan of waiting till the very end to tell the audience what the commercial is really about.

No comments: