Monday, April 27, 2009

Vitamin Water 10- Making humor work

So there's an understandable debate about using humor in commercials. If it makes everyone laugh but fails to reach the audience in the appropriate way, it's just a really fast and expensive way for companies to entertain us between shows.



I think this works well because the concept is compelling. The idea of Mother Nature herself being concerned because water has been improved so much that she can no longer compete is entertaining and whimsical. There's actually a series of these commercials and they make me laugh out loud each time I see them.

That brings me to the next reason I think the humor approach works in this instance: repetition. The first few times I saw it, I didn't associate it with the product: Vitamin Water 10. But they've played fairly regularly and I started to listen to the entire spot because they were familiar to me. Not only do I find them amusing, but many others clearly do too. High ratings and views on youtube for a commercial.

No comments: